Roof shingles are constantly battling the elements and may become weak or damaged. While sometimes you may replace a single roof shingle, there may be other times where it is best to replace them all. Though roofs may last a long time, they do not last forever and are subject to periodic repair or replacement.
Replacing roof shingles is a step-by-step process that is best completed by a professional commercial roofer:
1. The amount and type of damage will need to be carefully considered.
2. Once the issue has been identified and the damage assessed, your commercial roofer will help you decide if only a few shingles need to be replaced or if they all do.
3. The shingles that need to be replaced must be cautiously removed. If not done correctly, there may be an issue, or an injury could occur.
4. Since there are many layers to a roof and each plays an intricate part, the decking that is under the shingles will need to be inspected for damage. If the decking has been impacted, then the shingles located above that section will also need to be removed so that the decking can be replaced. If there does not appear to be any damage to the decking, check if the nails in it are still secured so that a new problem does not arise and the new shingles seamlessly attach to the roof.
5. Next, if you do not wish to install water-proof sheeting, the new shingles will be placed and securely installed. There is a delicate process to the installation, and professionals will round off the back corners of the shingles so that they easily attach.
6. After the new shingles are properly installed and secured, the final step is to clean up any remaining mess or nails left behind.
Several things need to be done that will help you prepare for your roof shingle replacement. For example, you may want to cover anything that could get dirty inside your home, especially if there is also damaged plywood. In addition, if there is any outdoor furniture or items that could be impacted by falling debris, it is best to move them. You may also need to move antennas, satellite dishes, and solar panels. In essence, the more space you can provide the roofers to work in, the better. Giving them a wide radius that is uncluttered and free of any obstacles, potential problems, pets, and children will help expedite their process, as well as preserve your property and items.
Through time, roof shingles become damaged or weathered. Keeping up with any shingles that need to be replaced will help extend the lifespan of your roof, as well as protect your home from any damage related to the elements. Some warning signs that it is time to call a commercial roofer include if your roof is over 20 years old, moss or algae are growing on your roof, the edges of the shingles are curling up, or if you find bits of your shingles in your gutters.
Replacing your roof shingles is an intricate process. It is not always straightforward and can be multi-faceted and even dangerous. Thus, it is best to hire a commercial roofer who can help you extend the life of your roof by carefully replacing any shingles that need it. Get in touch with General Roof today!